Dental Education and Assessment
This programme is suitable for members of the dental team, who have successfully completed the Award in Learning, Development and Assessment for Dental Education Assessment and wish to further develop their knowledge, understanding and skills in dental education and assessment. It is suitable for dental trainers, mentors and coaches, moderators, supervisors and administrators at all levels of the dental team who are involved or wish to become involved in dental education.
Students undertaking the programme must complete a short online induction after which all learning will be carried out on our virtual e-learning platform.
Study is part guided and part self-directed and students have a maximum of 26-weeks to complete the Certificate programme.
This qualification is awarded by Dental Team Qualifications (DTQ). The DTQ assessments are all e-based assessments carried out in a controlled environment.
Students are required to maintain an activity log, and development plan, both of which are available within OTT’s e-learning environment.
Who is the programme aimed towards?
The Certificate in Learning, Development and Assessment for Dental Education Assessment is aimed at members of the dental education team, who wish to develop their knowledge, understanding and skills in dental education and assessment.
What is the area of study?
The following units of study make up the Certificate:
- Interprofessional Education (IPE) and Interprofessional Learning (IPL)
- Facilitating study group learning
- Mentoring, coaching and Leadership in dental education
- Problem Based Learning and Case Based Learning
- Reflective learning
- Developing aims and objectives and learning outcomes
- Formative and summative assessments
- Setting of assessments – OSCEs SBAs EMQs SJTs and OSPREs
- Standard setting eg. Angoff; the concept of reverse Angoff process
- Oral assessments
- Developing a structured marking scheme
- Critical appraisal of evidence
How is the programme delivered?
All units are delivered online using our e-learning environment. Students are guided and supported by a Tutor/Mentor. Optional hands-on sessions at one of our centres, or in-house, are available on request. Please contact us for further information.
How is the qualification assessed?
The students’ knowledge, understanding and skills are assessed by the completion of a number of assessments on their virtual e-portfolio. These e-assessments take a variety of styles, which ensure that all units of study are assessed fairly and proportionately.
Students have three attempts at each e-assessment. The e-assessments are carried out in a controlled environment and submitted using the e-learning platform.
How long will the programme take?
Students are given up to 24-weeks to complete the study and then a further 2 weeks to complete and submit their e-assessments.
This equates to approximately 6-7 hours of study per week.
By the end of this course students will be able to:
- Describe Interprofessional Education (IPE) and Interprofessional Learning (IPL)
- Be proficient in facilitating study group learning
- Discuss mentoring and leadership in dental education
- Describe Problem Based Learning and Case Based Learning
- Discuss Reflective learning
- Be proficient in developing aims and objectives and learning outcomes
- Discuss formative and summative assessments
- Be proficient in the setting of assessments – OSCEs SBAs EMQs SJTs and OSPREs
- Be proficient in standard setting eg. Angoff, and the reverse Angoff process
- Describe oral assessments
- Be proficient in developing a structured marking scheme
- Discuss critical appraisal of evidence
How much does the programme cost?
The course fee is £895.00
- A one-time payment in full of £850 attracting 5% discount
- Monthly instalments of £149.00 over six months adding up to £895
What is included in the cost?
- E-Learning registration
- Practical Workshop
Fees are non-refundable
In the event of an unsuccessful first assessment attempt, there is a £25 fee for each e-assignment re sit